Why drink more water?
Do you ever feel like a wilted flower when you wake up in the morning? There’s a cure for that – it’s water!
Humans are composed of approximately 70% of water, and our cells call out for the fluid every second of every day; therefore we need it to function. Hollywood’s sweetheart Cameron Diaz stated in her most recent book ‘The Body Book’, that she wakes up every morning and chugs one liter of water, and she immediately feels rejuvenated, awake, and out of sleep-mode. I couldn’t agree more.
Water has always been my drink of choice. It just makes me feel good about myself. If you experience frequent headaches, constipation, cravings etc, then you should be drinking more water. We’ve all been raised knowing that we need to drink eight full glasses of water a day, but is this really necessary? Apparently, the old suggestion to drink eight glasses a day was nothing more than a guideline, and not based on scientific evidence. To know if you’re drinking enough water or not, listen to your body. If you begin to feel thirsty, then you’ve gone too long without drinking water. If you’re experiencing any of the symptoms above, then you’re not drinking enough water.
The amount of water intake should vary depending on the person. For example…
- If you are on your feet eight hours a day – sweating, you’ll need to drink more water to refill the fluid you’ve lost throughout the day.
- If you’re in an office for eight hours a day – you need to drink enough to replenish the water you’ve lost from inhaling and exhaling in the air-conditioned room.
- If you drink a lot of coffee or not, this is more or less the main concern. Coffee is a diuretic, which means it may increase the amount of times you’ll need a bathroom break. To prevent this excessive fluid loss, you should always drink a cup or two of water after drinking coffee to replenish the water you’ll lose.
There’s never going to be a ‘set’ amount of water everyone should drink per day. We’re not all the same! Here are the top 5 benefits of drinking water:
- Promotes Weight Loss – removes all the by-products of fat. Reduces food intake by filling up your stomach, and raises your metabolism!
- Increases Energy – our brains are 90% water – if we drink enough water, we become more alert, sharp, and focused!
- Headache Remedy – water is natures’ free medicine to curing headaches!
- Keeps Your Skin Looking Good – our skin cells need water to plump up, drinking water will make your skin glow!
- It Improves Your Mood – drinking water will boost your mood. Giving your body what it needs means you get all the benefits!
When was the last time you had a glass of water? Maybe you should have a glass or two now. And remember to always carry a water bottle with you – wherever you go. It’s truly a life saver!